Our Karachi library is now open! We go beyond the book and offer experiences. The British Council libraries in Pakistan seamlessly connect both the physical and the digital to be a hub for creativity and culture. Our libraries can quickly shift from book places to vibrant and resourceful social spaces with a jam-packed programme of curated content and events.
Our programming aspires to generate ideas, discussion and bring people and communities together in a safe cultural setting. The British Council physical library offers books, DVDs, and an interactive community space. Digital library members across the country will also gain access to thousands of e-books, e-journals, popular on-line magazines, and the best of UK and global content.
The first step to becoming a member is signing up for a library tour. Our tours run daily from 11 am to 6 pm and take up-to an hour including all logistics.
You can also stay posted with library updates by subscribing to our newsletter.
Library Visiting Hours
Tuesday – Sunday: 10.00 – 20.00
Telephone Inquiry Hours
Monday – Saturday: 09.00 – 18.00
We welcome visitors with disabilities and those bringing pushchairs. If you need help with access, or have any questions, please let us know.
British Council Library Karachi is located in a modern office block, located inside the British Deputy High Commission premises.
Nearest bus stops are:
- Park lane Hospital across the road.
SZABIST University, 50 meters from the main entrance
- The path between the SZABIST university bus stop and the main entrance has the broken surfaces and the fallen tree leaves also make the approach to the main entrance challenging
To approach the main entrance from the Park Lane hospital involves crossing the main road which has fast traffic plying on it. There is no pedestrian crossing/ zebra crossing on the road to facilitate the crossing of the road.
The nearest drop of point is 10 meters from the main entrance on the road.
There is also a drop-off point that can be used by visitors with disabilities. Please contact us before your visit so that we can arrange this.
There is no public car park available near the library; however vehicles are usually parked around SZABIST University 50 meters from the main entrance and in front of Park Lane Hospital across the road from the main entrance.
What to expect when you arrive
- Step-free access to the library is provided via the main entrance. The main door is accessible to wheelchair and pushchair users
- The width of the main entrance door to the library courtyard is 2 feet 10 inches
- Wheelchair or pushchair access to the main entrance is via ramp
- The width of the main entrance door to the library building is 5 feet 3 inches
- Before entering and as you enter the building, you will need to go through a security check. This involves you, your wheelchair and your bag being checked.
- You have to move to the wheelchair provided by the British Council
- You may hear several loud bleeps during the check
- If you have any concerns about the security check, please contact us before your visit
The Security guard room also serves as the reception to register the visitors. You will be asked to provide your identity document and will be provided with a visitor pass. If you are a library member, then you have to display your library.card to gain access to the library building.
If you use a wheelchair, we will speak with you about a suitable emergency evacuation plan.
British Council Library Karachi is only one floor facility, with wide corridors accessible to visitors using wheelchairs.
There is a café on the ground floor with access to wheelchairs as well. Width of Café’s door is 5 feet 2 inches.
All meeting rooms and resources are easily accessible on wheelchair.
There is an accessible toilet inside the library. It is suitable for people using wheelchairs.
The width of the toilet door is 3 feet. The door opens inwards.